What You Need to Know about Overdrafts & Overdraft Fees
An overdraft1 occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway (Basic & Extended Courtesy Pay).
Qualstar can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
1. We have standard overdraft practices (Basic Courtesy Pay) that come with your account based on your account history. We notify you by mail if you qualify for our Basic Courtesy Pay service.
2. We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings, money market, Visa® or line of credit account which, depending on how you manage your account, may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. Contact us if you would like to set up overdraft protection from your savings, money market, Visa or line of credit account.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
Once you are approved for our Basic Courtesy Pay program, we authorize and pay overdrafts for the following:
- Checks, ACH, Electronic Fund Transfers, automatic bill payments and other recurring electronic transactions over $5.00 (transactions $5.00 and under are automatically paid with no fee) made using your checking account number (this does not include debit card and ATM transactions – see below).
We do NOT authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to (see Extended Courtesy Pay below):
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
What if I want Qualstar to authorize/pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions (Extended Courtesy Pay)?
If you would like to choose Extended Courtesy Pay coverage, which authorizes us to pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, simply do one of the following to opt-in:
- If you already have a Qualstar Debit Card, submit the form below to request coverage,
- Log-in to Mobile 2 or Home Banking and choose the “More” menu to access the Courtesy Pay widget, where you can choose extended coverage or opt-out of all coverage or
- Contact us to order a Debit Card and request coverage (checking account required).3
Please complete ALL required fields to submit your request for Extended Courtesy Pay.
Fields with an asterisk (*) are required.
What fees will I be charged if Qualstar pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of up to $25 (per transaction) each time we pay an overdraft.
- Under any Courtesy Pay coverage, you have 30 days from the date of the original overdraft to bring your account current and retain your coverage.
1 We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
2 Carrier data and messaging rates may apply.
3 You have the right to revoke Extended Overdraft Coverage at any time by logging in to Mobile and Home Banking and opting out via the Courtesy Pay widget; contacting us at 1-800-848-0018, in writing via mail or secure email within Mobile and Home Banking, or by visiting any of our branch locations.